Monday, July 7, 2008

In Remembrance...

In Memory of...



Grandpa Penrose

(1949-2007)

This blog is dedicated to Tom's dad, Dr. Keith Weber Penrose. He passed away suddenly on June 27th. Here are just a few little tidbits about him that I picked up...



First off - he was VERY stern. He was strict in every sense of the word. He was very dedicated...even dedicated to being strict! :) He had his rules and expected them to be followed. If the rules were not followed...the wrath of the Dad was incurred. (This is not so unfamiliar to the Grandpa Henderson.) His most famous form of torture...er...punishment was the infamous "Long Talk". Yes...a long talk. No, not just an hour lecture or so...we're talking about hours and hours and hours of lecturing, lecturing, and more lecturing. The kids all say that by the time you are only HALF way through a long talk, you wish he would just ground you! Haha!

Even though he was very strict and stern, he had a hilarious sense of humor. His favorite movie was Blazing Saddles. If any of you have seen this movie, you know what I'm talking about. Keith definately appreciated Mel Brooks' sense of humor. Once you got him laughing, it was hard to get him to stop. After a good line from the movie ("Somebody's gotta go back and get a shit load of dimes!") he would chuckle for quite some time afterwards.




Keith was also very fond of his cars: red mustangs...audis...etc. Although...it was a little bit scary driving with him at times...especially in the big, red suburban they used to have! Woo wee! One time we were driving out to Ephraim, and I was SURE we were going to fly off the road! Haha! We didn't...and we made it there just fine. :)
A major part of who Keith was was dedicated to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He had some rough years in his youth, largely due to some mean, aweful people in Idaho, but when he got back on the path, it was with full force and unwaivering faith. He was dedicated to the gospel with a steadfastness that would be hard to match. His testimony and understanding of the gospel helped create the man he was.

Goodness gracious! Was school important to that man, or what?! Every time Tom would talk to him, I would hear from this side of the line, "Yeah, I study all day...yeah...I should probably study some more...I know....work now, play later...." every time! You could almost time it word for word :) It all comes down for caring about his kids, though. Keith always wanted the absolute BEST for his kids - even if they didn't always appreciate it. He would have done ANYTHING for them. I think he wanted them to have an education so much so that they would never be in a bind. The more educated you are, the more opportunities you have - I think Keith knew that, so each of his kids is pressed to do very well in school. I know that Keith is so proud of Tom right now. Even if Tom doesn't feel like he is doing very well, or if his self confidence is slightly waining...I know his dad is so proud of him. He is proud of everything he has accomplished already, and everything he will accomplish. I also know his dad is super proud of the smokin' hot wife Tom has! haha! :)
Now, if you know Tom...you know that he has some crazy eating habits. Well, he gets it from his father! The kids all joked that if their mom was to pass first...they would have starved to death - or lived off Costco chicken and hotdogs with swiss cheese! Keith, I've decided, was just very particular about his food. He likes what he likes...and thats it! Tom is like that, too.... ;)



I hope someday that Ella will grow to understand how much her grandfather loved her. Keith said to me once, as Ella was fussing and crying, "Hand her to me...I have infinite patience." to which Cheri yelled, "yeah right!" Keith then clarified by saying, "Infinite patience for my GRANDDAUGHTER....Not my children!" It was very funny :) He doted on her like nothing else! I remember RIGHT after I had her (on a Wednesday), that Saturday he wanted to take us shopping at the mall and Babies R Us so he could buy her new clothes and toys! He would pick out little outfits and go "Oh! This is perfect for Baby Ella!" At the mall, there weren't very many toys and he kept walking around the stores going, "Where are all the toys?!?!" It was so cute :) He would sit and hold her for hours and just rock her to sleep. For as gruff a guy as he was...he softened up like melted butter around Ella. I absolutely know for a fact that he would have confessed to murder for her! Haha!



I wish I could have gotten to know Keith better. I wish Ella could have known her grandpa a little more. I know that the rest of our future kids are with him now, though, and I wouldn't be suprised if they come down spoiled rotten because of it! Lots of love and prayers...

2 comments:

amber {and co.} said...

Tom and Laura (and Ella!) I'm so sorry for your loss, I only met Keith a few times but he seemed like a very nice man! The tidbits you put about him are great, i LOVE Mel Brooks and Blazing Saddles, we would have been friends :) Cody's and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

K.B. said...

What a great tribute!