Sunday, February 3, 2008

Still more...

January 25, 2008

Well, its been a couple days since I’ve written, but nothing too exciting has been happening so I don’t feel too bad. The other day, Amy and I went and got new cell phones. She accidentally dropped hers in the ocean, and we needed another one for Tom to take to school. So we went and did that at the Tel Cell place in Philipsburg, then we went to the grocery store and I found these super yummy cookies that they had in Austria! They are called Prince cookies – they’re kind of like those Keebler Elf fudge cookies, only better. Mmmmmm….It was an all in all productive day, so that was nice.

Well, we had to say good bye to the jellybean car. It was sad, but necessary. The little red car just wasn’t going to make it with all the flooding it was going to drive through. I guess some of the other students have problems with their cars engines flooding…and we didn’t want that to happen, so we upgraded to a Nissan Pathfinder. It is kind of a clunker, but more durable than the jellybean. Also, the Nissan doesn’t need little floaties when it goes through the water, like the jellybean did J It definitely isn’t as cute, though – *sigh* Oh well, it is better and safer.

Well, we finally got the cable installed. When Tom and I went to pay our utility bill, I called the cable company and she said the tech guy was at our apartment RIGHT THEN! I told her to tell him to WAIT! So he did, and we got it installed…then it turned off for the rest of the day…because apparently that’s just what happens on the island. It’s pretty much our favorite J

Tonight was pretty fun – we went to this restaurant called Lolo’s on the French side. They have such nice roads on that side of the island!! I guess the French side really gets money from France, whereas the Dutch side is supposed to get money from Curacao…but they don’t. The food was okay, but it was fun being with Amy and Eli. They are from Louisiana, along with half the student body! I am vastly outnumbered by east coasters! J

Tomorrow is the “Welcome Breakfast” for all the spouses. I hope it is fun! I’m excited to meet a lot of the new girls! I’m a little disappointed that it has taken a month for the breakfast to get organized, though, because now it is like everyone already has their little group of friends and it is hard to break into that, especially since there are only a handful of new spouses.

Anyway, the island is still very new and interesting to me. A lot of times when I go into town I come home very irritated and cranky. It doesn’t help having Ella cry the whole time, too. So I’m pretty much okay just sitting at home, because at least I can keep Ella calm. Going out and about is quite the adventure, and sometimes I’m just not up to it. I have to go grocery shopping on Monday, though *deep breath*. Amy said she needed to go, too, though, so maybe we can go together. It is SO helpful having someone there with me! I really do appreciate it!

Well, that’s all for now!

January 26, 2008

Well, today was a super fun day! This morning was the “Welcome Breakfast” for the AUC Spouses Organization. Megan and Natalie picked me up around 9:15 and we went to this restaurant named Ric’s. It was pretty good food and fabulous company! It was nice meeting so many new girls! We were there for a couple hours and the girls took turns holding Ella. It was kind of nice because then I could eat in peace and not have to worry about her! There are so many nice girls here that all volunteer to baby-sit her! Yay for babysitters!

Anyway, after that we went home and got ready for the beach. We went to Mullet Bay and met up with Amy and Eli and Ashley and her kids. They are so fun to be with! We even got Ella in the water. She didn’t mind it so much until we got her arms wet…she didn’t like that very much. I got some super cute pictures though. Amy let me use her snorkel stuff so we went around all the rocks and stuff and saw lots of fish. I would get some snorkel stuff, but I don’t think I’d use it very much. I can’t snorkel unless there is someone to watch Ella, which is Tom usually, and I don’t want to go out by myself! But it was fun to go with Amy. Eli and Tom studied most of the time – BORING! I quiz Tom with his flash cards and have a very hard time pronouncing all the words – haha!

So after the beach, I was SUPER exhausted because Ella was up aaaaalllll night last night (I’m not sure what the deal was, but she was WIDE awake at 1:00…then 4:30…then 6:00…) and let me tell you, there is nothing on t.v. at any of those times J So I was super tired, so Tom took Ella out on a “Daddy/Daughter Date”. They went and watched the airplanes land over my Airport Beach, then they went to the grocery store, then went and got pizza at Pizza Dan’s. Meanwhile, I was sleeping very soundly…it was quite lovely; however, when I woke up and they weren’t back yet, I kind of had a little freak out. I just knew they were dead on the side of the road somewhere! It was one of those “I’m super paranoid” things. Yeah, pretty ridiculous, I know J But they came home a few minutes after I woke up, so I only freaked out for a little bit J

So now we’re watching Liar Liar and eating pizza It is pretty fabulous. Tomorrow is church and then we’re having dinner with Hilary and Justin at their house. It should be fun! Well, more updates later!

January 29, 2008

Today was “errand running day”, which always makes me a little apprehensive. I was supposed to pick up Amy at 9:00, but when she told me the bridge times were 9:00 and 9:30, I thought it best to wait a bit. So I picked her up at 9:30 and right as we were driving by the school on the road with all the speed bumps, there was a guy standing in the middle of the road by this truck. He was wearing: t-shirt, jacket, sunglasses, socks, shoes, and PANTS AROUND HIS ANKLES!!! He was completely naked from the waist down and shaking his you-know-what around! Amy and I were like, “Um…did you just see that?” Ha! What a bunch of crazies!! Yeah, so that started our little adventure day off to quite the interesting start.

After that little “exposition episode”, we drove to the Cost-U-Less and picked up the majority of our groceries, then we went to the Grande Marche and got the rest of our groceries. After that we went to the Ace Hardware in Colebay, which is the closest store to an American store on the whole island! Upstairs is kind of like a Bed, Bath, and Beyond, which is faaaaaaaabulous. The only problem was trying to get the shopping cart with Ella in the car seat UP to the second floor. They didn’t have a normal elevator like in the States. We had to go in the back storage room and take the freight elevator upstairs! Haha! It was super funny! I took a picture of it because it was so random! It was just this big open-air man lift. Priceless.

Anyway, then we went to this beauty supply store, which was faaaaabulous! They had all sorts of beauty products: hair stuff, personal hygiene stuff, jewelry, nail polish, etc. Amy had a hay-day, except they didn’t have the one thing she was looking for: processing liquid L Sad story!

After that we had to run home and drop off my groceries. Then we went to her place and dropped of her groceries. Then we went over to Sheryl’s house to make burritos for the big “Spouses Organization Burrito Sale” tomorrow morning. It was pretty fun with all the girls. They are all so nice!

Ella was pretty good today. Amy helped take care of her so she didn’t fuss while I was driving, then I held her most of the time at the grocery store. She only got fussy when she was hungry or tired. She did, however, have a bit of an explosion on the way out of town very first thing. We had to change her and it was preeettttyyy messy. Silly babies and their explosions. It’s a good thing I had an extra onsie that is for sure! Once we got to Sheryl’s, she fell right to sleep and slept the whole time I was there! She woke up right before we left there to go pick up Tom, but she has been an angel all day pretty much! Oh! She also rolled over from her back to her stomach today!! I missed it while I was putting the cold groceries away, but Amy said she did it twice! Silly girl won’t show her mommy!! J Now I’ll really have to watch her.

When we got home, I had to finish putting away all the groceries and stuff and make a bunch of food. We are having a BBQ with Amy and Eli tonight at their place. I made pasta salad, steak shish kabobs and brownies. Mmmmm. I think I burnt the brownies though. I kind of forgot about them. Oops J

Aaaaaanyway! That was my exciting day J Amy said she would go with me again to do our grocery shopping next week. It definitely helps having the help and makes it much more enjoyable having someone to talk with! Ella isn’t a very good conversationalist yet J

1 comment:

amber said...

yayyy, i'm so glad you have a blog! now that you're so far away its nice to have a way to still feel like we're apart of your lives *sniff* keep us updated, its great! love you Tom Laura & Ella! (Taurella?) :)