Tuesday, May 19, 2009

More Book Reviews!

Well, it's been a while since my last book review section :) So here are my most recent reads! There will be more coming shortly, since my grandma sent with my Mom a HUGE bag of books! Yay! :)

Red Azalea. Very odd book. I didn't realize it was non-fiction until I had finished it, so that probably would have made a difference. It was really interesting, but very unsettling. It is about a young girl in Communist China. She is trying to make a name for herself, but at the same time, not dishonoring her family. She lives on a work farm and for the movie companies and ends up being a lesbian somewhere in the midst of all that. VERY deep and somewhat graphic book. Probably not one of my favorites, but interesting none-the-less.

Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom. Our most recent book club book! It is a sci-fi that takes place 100 years in the future. It is about a guy living at Disneyland who wants to maintain things the way they are, which is against the general populations ideas. It is a really short book, and the author definitely doesn't take the time to explain things to you, like the new vocabulary. Quick and easy read. Kind of makes you think about society and what it holds important and what it doesn't. I do like the idea of "Wufi", though (read the book). Ya know...since I'm so awesome, I think I'd be pretty well off... :) hehehe...

Time Traveler's Wife. WOAH. Talk about a wild ride! It is all about time travel. The main character time travels, but he doesn't have control over it. So sometimes he just bounces around through his entire life and sees his younger self and his older self. It is a love story between him and his girlfriend and there are some pretty graphic scenes and some very vulgar language. Aside from that it was REALLY interesting and a very intriguing read.

This book was okay. It kind of seemed like the author was trying a little too hard. Sort of a "Da-Vinci-esque" book, but not as good. *shrug* Good for a beach read, I guess.

Secret Life of Bees. Loved it. Definately a "Woman Power" book. :) It was a really quick read and there were some really sad parts, but overall it was a pretty feel good book :) Reading about the black women in this book was what I thought living in the Caribbean would be like....it's not.

Six Wives of Henry VII. AWESOME BOOK. This is my first REAL non-fiction historical book I have read and it was WONDERFUL. It reads like a novel and goes through each of Henry VII's wives. It gives their entire historical background, their reign as Queen, and their fall. Almost every line has some sort of historical reference given in the back of the book and it is just wonderful! The author REALLY captures what each of these women were like and what a giant jerk the king was! I really, really recommend this book to ANYONE. It was SO COOL! I was reading it while my mom was down and kept saying, "oh man! did you know that his second wife...." or "Ohmygosh! Guess what! His fourth wife...." :) very good book.

The Judas Strain. Another beach read. A murder mystery...sort of. It was going really well and was really interesting until the last 30 pages or so, then it got really sci-fi all of a sudden. Maybe the author just had a hard time trying to decide how to end it? It's kind of like reading a history book, and then all of a sudden aliens take over and kill everyone. Really bizarre. It was good until the end though :)

Well, that's about all for now. I will have more in a month or so! Hope you enjoy!

No comments: