Friday, February 27, 2009
Yes, my sweet little sister is going on a mission and just got her call! I'm not telling you until a few more paragraphs, so you will just have to wait...or you could ask her. :)
For those of you who don't know, our church sends our missionaries. I can't imagine who wouldn't know this, especially since most of the people reading this blog are family! Ha! But, for those of you who don't....our church sends out missionaries :) Now, all boys age 19 are pretty assumed that they are going. Boys serve for 24 months. Girls can go if they want to, but they have to wait till they are 21. Girls go for 18 months. A few rules of a mission:
1. No, you don't get to choose where you go.
2. No, it is NOT a vacation.
3. Yes, you have to learn the language.
3. Yes, you learn the language at the MTC (Missionary Training Center) in Provo, Utah in less than three months.
4. No, the language will not sound like anything you learned in the MTC when you actually get to your mission :) Haha!
5. You work six days a week with STRICT rules. Get up at 6:30. Bed time at 10:00. No swimming. No being away from your companion (another missionary that is assigned to you) EVER, except for the bathroom pretty much. Plus lots more!
6. No, you don't choose your companion.
7. Yes, you serve the WHOLE time teaching about our church and doing service projects and what not. :)
8. You have one day a week, "Preparation Day" to do laundry, cleaning, relax, etc. But other than that, it is work work work! And where Angela is going it will be Walk Walk Walk!
9. You cannot call home except on Christmas and Mothers Day.
10. You can only write emails to your family and can only write letters to friends.
11. You cannot watch t.v. or movies or listen to any music but classical or church music.
12. There are lots of mission rules that are dependent on where you go, so Angela will have different ones than other places. :)
There are a bunch of missionaries on our island right now, actually. This island only has boys, though. It isn't safe enough for sister missionaries. The boy missionaries are called "Elder" and you can recognize them because they always wear the same things: white shirt, tie, black pants, black shoes, and a little black name tag on the front of their shirt. They usually carry a backpack, too. If you see them, BE NICE TO THEM! They are just 19-21 year old boys trying to do what they think is right: teach people are Jesus Christ!
Anyway, here are some pictures of where my little sis will be going:
Asuncion North, Paraguay!! Crazy enough, it is the EXACT mission that our brother served in!! CRRAAAZZZYYY!!!!! I'm sure Daniel will have lots of good tips :) Not only will she be learning Spanish, but when she gets there, she will learn guarani. An old, tribal dialect. CRAZY! :) Anyway, more info to come! Just thought I would give a little shout out to my little sis!!!
Posted by Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms at 7:41 AM