Saturday, July 10, 2010

T-Rex! Our Newest Snugglesaurus!

Well, the big day finally came! :) Thomas Rex Penrose was born on July 9th, 2010 at 3:26p.m. weighing in at 7 pounds 11 ounces and 20.5 inches long. His hair is totally blond and he has enough of it for a small mo-hawk (which he will be frequently sporting). His eyes are bright blue, but I'm not sure if they'll stay like that. He has a little bit of a cone head and a really stocky little upper body! he is quite the husky kid. TOTALLY opposite of Ella! Ella was tall and skinny, he is shorter and chubbier. Tom says "He'll be the perfect defensive lineman!" I told him that just means he'll have a great lung capacity for the baritone sax or tuba ;) Here are some pictures, then I'll tell the whole "day of delivery" story, for those of you who are actually interested. Don't worry - no gory details. Those are yucky ;)



Ella is checking out her new baby brother. She was SOOOO excited to meet him! She calls him "Wiggle Pommy" which translates to Little Tommy. It is super cute. She calls him her baby brother and she is the big sister. She also said he was "too noisy"...but he doesn't really cry. So far she is taking the new baby in stride pretty well, but is a little cranky when she is at home. I think she can just tell something big is going on and it is throwing her off not having me or Tom home with her. Hopefully she isn't feeling too neglected :(




Here she is again! So excited! She keeps wanting to hold him and when anyone else has him she goes up with her hands out and says, "My turn!"


One proud papa! Tom was a little worried the baby was going to be a girl because when we had the first ultrasound the nurse said, "Oh! Ella's going to have a baby sister!" Then after a few little shots she said, "Oh wait! It's a boy! Yep! Look! A boy!" So Tom had been a little worried ever since! Haha! :) But he's a boy alright, and as Homer Simpson put it, "And what a boy!!"

Just after delivery! Mom and Baby are doing great!

Okay, so here is the story (I put the pictures first, so if you don't care about the whole story, you don't have to read it :))

I was supposed to be induced on July 8th because that is the birthday of Tom's grandma, who was the original "Thomas Penrose", so we thought that would be cool if they had the same birthday. So I was supposed to check into the hospital at 7:30a.m., but at 6:00 I got a phone call from the nurses station saying to not come in that it was WAY too crowded with women who went into labor that night and that they didn't have any rooms open. They would call me later that day if I was even going to be induced at all. So, naturally, we were a little disappointed. After a terribly sleepless and anxious night, now nothing was going to happen anyway!

So we waited and waited and finally got a phone call around 12:30 saying, "Yes! Come in at 2:00p.m. Your doctor wants to get this on the road!" Fabulous! So we packed our bags, kissed our kid good bye and was out the door! We checked in and got into the labor and delivery room at 2:30.

I thought it was going to be smooth as butter like when Ella was born, but no. Apparently my body just wasn't ready to give up being pregnant so they had to give me this thing called Cervadil to get my body prepped. It is a 12 hour process....and I didn't even get it until 4:00p.m. So that meant we missed Grandpa's birthday. That was pretty disappointing. My mom kept telling me that normally you don't even get to plan your kids date of birth....but I was still a little disappointed.

Anyway, they originally said they would wake me up at 4:00a.m. (12 hours later) and start the pitocin...but then they changed their mind and said I could sleep in until 8-9a.m. and then they would start it. That was much better :) Even though I didn't sleep very much that night, it was better than having to wake up at 4:00 to go into labor! Ha!

So one very sleepless night later, the nurses come in and get me going on Pitocin. Actually, I had an epidural first (which sucked getting 'cause it hurts like a mother...but is TOTALLY worth!) So epidural first, then Pitocin, then water broken, then the waiting game. After the epidural kicked in and I was feeling very relaxed, we watched some Simpsons and My Big Fat Greek Wedding and then the nurse was like, "Well, let's see how you're doing...Give me a big push....yep...I'll go get the Dr."

I was really surprised she was getting the doctor so soon 'cause with Ella I pushed for a WHILE before the Doc even came in. But I figured she knew what she was doing, so she went and got the Doc.

Four pushes later - POP! Out comes the baby! I'm not kidding. The whole process took thirteen minutes! It was pretty spectacular. The nurses and doctor were laughing at me because after two pushes I said, "This is tiring!" They laughed and started teasing that I had only done two pushes. I had to clarify that I said it was TIRING...not that I was TIRED (But I really was tired! Haha! I'm such a baby :))

So out came little T-Rex! No, we didn't name him Thomas Rex so he could be T-Rex, it just happened to work out like that. Thomas and Rex are both family names and it wasn't till after we decided on the name that someone was like, "Hey! T-Rex!" and we thought it was even more awesome :) So yeah....everything is dinosaur themed....of course. :)

Little Tommy is VERY mellow. He hardly cries AT ALL and it is only when he has burps or is about to load his pants. He eats really well and looooooves to sleep (which is fabulous!)

So far everything has gone super smooth. I am healing up nicely and slept really well last night. All in all things are pretty good! :)

Thank you everyone for all the sweet comments and prayers! I am feelin' the love, for sure!! :D

2 comments:

K.B. said...

Congratulations! He looks like a sweet, handsome little man =) I'm glad you both are doing so well.

2 kids?!!! I can't believe it. Little Laura has 2 kids. =)

Katie said...

Hurray! I'm glad everything went well. And as long as you got the epidural first, fast is good. :) He is absolutely adorable! And Ella is adorable with him. And well done on having a mellow baby!