Thursday, March 13, 2008

Update!

March 13, 2008

Well, I haven’t written in a while because not much has actually been going on. Tom took his second block of exams this last Monday and did pretty well on them. He is passing all his classes and even got 100% on his Histology lab exam! Yay! J He is pretty burnt out from studying and going to class all day. Poor guy…all he does is study and read and study some more. Only one more block of exams, and then finals! Woo woo! I can’t believe how fast this semester has gone by…it’s pretty amazing.

I’m trying to think of things that have been going on, but am drawing a blank. We go to the beach a lot. Oh! I went to this one beach called Le Galion on the French side. It is known as “baby beach” and it was faaaabulous! You can walk several hundred feet into the water and it is still barely waist deep, and there aren’t ANY waves. As soon as Ella gets a little older, we’ll be frequenting that beach. The only downside is that it is so far away.

Grocery shopping is the main event of the week, usually, and that has been pretty normal. A bunch of the “bag boys” got deported though. Apparently a bunch of them didn’t have the right kind of paperwork, so the government cracked down. Now we have to bag our own groceries: BOO! Two thumbs down to bagging your own groceries!! L I’m not excited to go grocery shopping tomorrow because it is going to be a giant pain trying to do everything at the same time.

Well, today was an exciting day! Tom had class till around 2:30 then we took Ella over to Hillary’s and she babysat her for the rest of the day! Tom and I went to the beach for a couple hours, then came home and got ready to go to dinner. We weren’t real sure what we were gonna do: movie, dinner, or mini-golf, but decided we could just go and decide on the way. Well, right by the airport…we got pulled over. Yeah…pulled over by “Traffic Control”. So, they ask for license and registration. Good thing Tom had his! Phew! So they check the windshield wipers, the blinkers, the back tail lights, and the headlights and OH NO! One of the headlights is out! Mind you…it is still daytime, so its not like we NEEDED the lights at the time being. Well, she gives us a ticket for 50 gilders (which ends up being about $28). She then says we need to go to the NAPA store to get it fixed. Of course…by now…NAPA is closed, so we head over to Ace…get the part and fix the stupid headlight. Then we had to go buy diapers and try to get air in the tires. The gas station guy says that NO gas station on the island does air because people keep stealing the air hoses *rolling eyes*. What is with this place?! Needless to say, our “romantic dinner” kind of started out bumpy.

We finally decided to eat at Ric’s Place because we were craving something American, and it is pretty close: free refills on water, ketchup on tables, French fries as a side dish that is INCLUDED, etc. It was a lovely dinner and we watched the basketball game that was on t.v. Then we went and picked Ella up and came home. It was nice to have an evening/day of just us two…but it was weird. I kept checking to see if I had the diaper bag, or if I had her pacifier on me, or stuff like that. It was the longest I’ve been apart from Ella since we got to the island! Weird… J

Another funny thing we saw today: a foreigner (I think French?) was helping a little jelly bean car back out of its parking spot and into the road. The guy was actually OUT in the middle of the road directing traffic!! If anyone is reading this that is on the island, it was the main road through the golf course at 2:00 in the afternoon!! It was super funny!! He was being soooo cautious. Tom and I had a good laugh.

We also went to Cupecoy beach today. I’ve decided that I really like that beach, but not the “scenery”. There were quite a few naked people strutting around the beach, or laying out to bake. Yeah…kiiiiiiinda nasty.

We had the missionaries over for dinner last night. I made a bunch of pizza’s for them. They were all very nice. We had a really fun evening discussing marriage, dating, and post-mission life. It was super entertaining. I’ve decided that we’ll have them over every other week or so. They say the food they get is pretty interesting from the locals: monkey, iguana, etc. Yuck. J Yeah, that was Wednesday night, and that whooooole day our water was turned off. Yep, completely turned off at 9:00a.m. and didn’t turn on again until 4:45p.m. I didn’t get to take a shower and I couldn’t do the dishes, or wash my hands, or anything! I had to use a wet wipe to wash my hands for dinner! I called the GEBE people three times to see when the water would be turned back on, but the closest answer I got was, “I don’t know, the guy hasn’t told me yet. I’ll call you back.” Did she call back? YEAH RIGHT! Grrr….

Anyway, tomorrow is grocery day. I am going with Ashley Gillum – the Spouses Organization. I’m excited to go with her and get to know her a little better. It should be a fun filled day of grocery shopping! J If you can’t tell…I’m being sarcastic J




p.s. We started Ella on solids and she likes her cereal with bananas or peaches. She also loooooooove Otter Pops!! Go figure!! :)

1 comment:

amber {and co.} said...

Hooray for updates from the Island!I get such a kick hearing about all the quirky stuff that goes on there...like people stealing air... lol! i'm glad you and Tom had a little "date", so maybe it wasn't the most romantic, at least you got some time to yourselves! and congrats to Tom on his exam and Ella on making it to solid food :)